Posted on 4 December, 2011

Auto Selling as a Career

One of my previous careers was selling cars. I have had about 15 jobs in my lifetime and that was one of the hardest in many ways. Prior to selling cars I was in restaurant management so it was a completely new experience. One plus factor to a car sales career is that it is easy to get that kind of job. My local paper had dealer help wanted ad's suggesting huge pay with no experience required. The first place I applied to offered me a job after a five minute interview. I went downtown for a license and started the next day. Auto dealers usually pay straight commission so they don't have much to loose if a new hire doesn't work out.

I worked six days a week and twelve hours a day my first 2 years in the business. The first year my income was very low, even working long hours. About 1 out of 10 new salespeople lasted less than a month at this dealership!

After the first year the job was easier and I made more commissions. My selling skills improved and I was getting repeat and referral business. I sent mail to all my previous customers every month, which helped stay in touch with them. After two years I was one of the top sales reps.. After three years I moved to fleet sales. Then I went to fleet manager, leasing manager, and finally to inventory manager. Manager pay was much better.

After more than twenty years in the business I look back on it as a good experience overall. I would not recommend auto sales as a career for most people. However there is an opportunity to make very good money and move up, even without a higher education. For those still in school I would say get all the education you can, and don't sell cars!

My new career is insurance and mortgage loans.

Most Viewed in the Business:Careers-Employment Category (60 days)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top