Posted on 4 October, 2012

Continuing Professional Development

Duncan Brodie

More and more professionals now have a mandatory requirement for Continuing Professional Development. Others just decide to make a conscious decision to embark on a journey of development. At the end of the day if you fail to continually develop yourself you run the risk of not fully exploiting to your professional and earnings potential.

Many people claim that they don't have the time or the money to invest in their development. With advances in technology we have such a range of options open to us to support our development, many of which are free or low cost. Here are just a few examples:

o Internet

o Classroom Courses

o Workshops

o Coaching

o Mentoring

o Shadowing senior people

o E-Books

o On-Line Courses

o Audios

o Professional Associations

o Clubs related to your interest

o Magazines and journals

When considering your own development and what resources to utilise, think about the following:

1. What areas do I want to develop?

2. How do I learn best?

3. How much time have I got available to devote to the areas I want to develop?

4. What is the most effective way of acquiring the skills I want?

5. What do I love doing and would make development fun?

6. What do I loathe doing and would make development a real turn-off?

7. What is the cost to me of not developing?

8. What are the benefits to me of investing in my development?

9. Who can help me stay on track?

10. How can I make it fun?

At the end of the day there is no right or wrong way, just what works for you. Take the first step today to realising your professional and earnings potential.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top